Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Two Things I Require Of God

"...deny me them not before I die:  Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, deny thee and say, Who is the LORD? or lest be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain"  (Proverbs 30:7b-9; KJV).

History records the efforts of those who have searched, fought, killed, lied, for fame and fortune.  The drive for success and wealth have driven many to do horrible acts.  Contentment comes hard for both the rich and the poor.  The rich want more, fear the loss of what they have gained, either in material goods, or fame.  The poor fear not loss of material things but desire what the rich have believing that there in material, financial wealth lies their happiness.  Today it seems as though people want their 15 minutes of fame and will do just about anything for it, i.e., eating bugs, entrails, slimy substances, anything so long as the camera is on them.  We see women and men to achieve willing to give themselves over to lustful pictures hoping that someone will see them and give them the opportunity to reach that sought fame and riches. 

What is important?  What will bring contentment?  Is it money?  Is it fame and fortune?  Have we not seen the folly of this lifestyles?  Divorce, lawsuits, loss of huge beautiful homes, children run amuck, and never finding the contentment eagerly desired.  This is not limited to the rich, but to all who seek contentment from the wrong source. The writer of Proverbs gives points the way to contentment.

Seek not vanity:  we do not have to look far to see that people are vain, many want to be desired, to be seen as desirable and will go to almost any length to prove their desirability.  In the age in which we live where truth is relative it is not wrong to lie to achieve your goals.  Oh, not big lies, little ones, white lies, and we have the reasons well established why we should lie.  All this and more, we deny our LORD, the creator of the universe who loves us more than anyone can and will.  He gave it all, even though we are not worthy of such love, but when we chase after riches, when vanity rules our lives, when lies are substituted for truth we who call ourselves by His name use that name in vain.

Where then can we find contentment?  Paul writing to the Philippians gave the answer:  "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through through him who give me strength.... And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus"  (Philippians 4:12-13; 19). We have to search no further than to look to God, and His Son Jesus.  "Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus"  Philippians 4: 4-7).

Contentment is not found in chasing the winds of this fallen world.  Rather peace, contentment, joy in life is found in the person of Jesus Christ.  His Word leads us to that peace; therefore, stay in the Word, put to practice what is taught in His Word and the contentment you seek will be found. 

Daily Prayer:

Father it is so good to know that I need not look any further than to You for the peace and contentment I desire in this life.  Thank You for meeting all my needs, not just financial, material, but also my emotional needs.  May I put into practice what I have learned or received from You.  Forgive my seeking fame, status, apart from You.                                                                                                 Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment