Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our Will

"For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not"  (Romans 7:18).

Now there is a Scripture that truly describes my state of being, search as I may the only answer for my not finding the "good" is found in the next verses: "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me" (vs. 19-20).  There it is, the answer, it is not me, it is the evil in me, "the Devil made me do it."  Right!  Those who preach that all that is done is of "necessity" get me off the hook for if by necessity a thing it is done then I do not have control over that which I do.  Wait a minute!  Where is my free will?  If necessity causes me to do anything then I am not free, but under control of the necessity.  Some teach that it is a matter of indifference or the liberty of indifference; therefore, when a conflict of motives arise it is indifferent and independent of reason, of feeling, and of God, it is only self-determination power of the will and not determined by motives by only found in the reason of a decision is sought in itself.  Here is the question again, "where is my free will?"

So then, what is free will?  Did not the "Devil made me do it" excuse or reason valid?  Not necessarily for ultimately all evil is traced back to him for he was the cause of evil when he left his position in heaven and placed himself in opposition to God.  He came and seduced Eve to sin, and by her own volition (her will and choosing) sinned, then Adam followed by his own free will. So what is this thing called: "will?"

The will is not determined by any law of necessity; it is not independent, indifferent, or self-determined, but is always determined by the preceding state of mind; so that  a man is free so long as his volitions (choosing) are the conscious expression of his own mind; or so long as his activity is determined and controlled by his reason and feelings.  Ah! there it is as said in the computer world, "garbage in garbage out."  Then the reason that we allow "things" to enter our mind; they can be controlled, and must be, if we are to have any hope of choosing "good" over "evil."  Can I expect help from God?

"For this cause we also, since the day we heard of it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding" (Colossians 1:9). Where can I find this "knowledge of his will"?  In His Word, the Bible, there is where the wisdom and understanding is to be found.  Finally, "Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen (Hebrews 13: 20-21).

Daily Prayer:

Again Father my praise goes to You for You know my plight, I am destitute without You for I know that nothing of real good lies in me.  Thank You Lord Jesus for You are working in me through Holy Spirit shepherding me so that I might be able to do Your Good and Perfect Will.  Lead me on!       Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment