Saturday, May 22, 2010

Why Pray?

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me" (John 17:21).

Why pray?  This for Christians will seem like a silly question.  We pray because it is what we do as religious people, for all religious people pray to their God.  We recognize, especially when life is troubled, that we need help from a higher source.  Therefore we go to our God and ask for His help.  I like most cry out to God as did King David: "Give ear to my prayer, O God, and hide not thyself from my supplication. Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise" (Psalm 55:1-2). That's me, complaining and making a lot of noise.  "Evening and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice" (Psalm 55: 17).  Yep, that's me!  Therefore, it is scriptural to bring your requests before God in prayer.  But that is not the whole of it; that answer doesn't give us all that we need to know about why we pray. 

"Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved" (Psalm 55:22).  Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Sustain? How about an answer? I prayed!  Where is my answer?  Have you ever questioned God like this?  I have!  So we pray because God wants to hear from us and that is why we pray but what is the purpose of pray if not to receive an answer?  Here goes!  The purpose of God is not to answer our prayers, but by our prayers we come to discern the mind of God.  We are not as independent as we were before we came to Christ as one of His disciples.  Jesus prayed that we become one as He is One with the Father.  We are to draw that close to Jesus.  We allow God to be sovereign in our lives.

Here goes another hard to accept understanding about prayer.  God is not concerned about our plans; He does not say--Do you want to go through this bereavement; this upset?  Is God sovereign in your life?  God allows things for His own purpose.  Do we believe that God is Good?  That His will is Good all the time?  The problems we go through in this life do one of two things: we either become further away from God, or we are drawn closer to God.  All depends on our relationship we are in to God.  It is of great consolation to know that God is working all our according to His wisdom.  Therefore, why we pray is to draw closer to God to receive from Him His Wisdom, His will, knowing that He will "sustain' us through any situation and we then either draw closer to Him or take leave of Him.  Here this!  God will not leave us alone until we are "one with Him.  The only pray that will be truly answered as requested in Jesus' prayer that we become one with Him as He is with the Father.  Yes, pray, bring your requests before God, He hears our prayers and answers according to His Good and Perfect Will; "As for God, his way is perfect" (2 Samuel 22:31).

Daily Prayer:

Father it is so humbling to know that You have all under control even when I can't see my way through a problem or situation.  You are only Good, You sent Your Son to bring salvation to all those who accept Your Son as savior.  That is proof of Your Love and Goodness.  I pray reveal to me Your mind and will, lead me in Your Word to know You better for there You have revealed Yourself in written form.  Thank You!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment