Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fall Asleep In Church At Your Own Peril

"There are many who say, 'Who will show us any good?' LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.  You have put gladness in my heart, More than in the season that their grain and wine increased. I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety" (Psalm 4:6-8).

If you often have trouble sleeping, try reading Psalms 3 and 4.

     David, running for his life and surrounded by Absalom's rebellious army, wrote in Psalm 3:5, " I sleep and wake up refreshed because you, LORD, protect me." Psalm 4:8 indicates the promises of God make good pillows for those who rest in him: " I can lie down and sleep soundly, because you, LORD, will keep me safe."

          But not during the preacher's sermons
At least, not in early American church history.
     The Puritans of colonial New England appointed "tithingmen" to stroll among the pews on Sunday mornings, alert for anyone nodding off during the long, sometimes ponderous sermons.  They carried long poles with feathers on one end and knobs or thorns on the other.  Worshipers napped at their own peril, and the results were unpredictable--as noted by Obadiah Turner of Lynn, Massachusetts, in his journal for June 3, 1646:

Allen Bridges hath bin chose to wake ye sleepers in meeting. And being much proude of his place, must needs have a fox taile fixed to ye ende of a long staff wherewwith he may brush ye faces of  Athem ht will have napps in time of discourse, likewise a sharpe thorne whereby he may pricke such as be most sound. ON ye last Lord his day, as hee strutted about ye meetinghouse, he did spy Mr. Tomlins sleeping with much comfort, hys head kept steadie by being in ye corner, and his hand grasping ye rail.  And soe spying, Allen did quickly thrust his staff behind Dame Ballard and give him a grievous prick upon ye hand.  Wereupon Mr. Tomlins did spring ypp mch above ye floore. and with terrible force strke hys hand against ye wall: and also, to ye great wonder of all, prphanie exlclaim in a loud voice, curse ye wood-chuck, he dreaming so it seemed yt a wood-church had seized and bit his hand. But on coming to know where he was, and ye greate scandall he had committed, he seemed much abashed, but did not speak.  And I think he will not soon again goe to sleepe in meeting.

Morgan, Robert J.: On This Day : 265 Amazing and Inspiring Stories About Saints, Martyrs & Heroes. electronic ed. Nashville : Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2000, c1997, S. June 3

Well, no sleeping in church for me, or maybe we should bring back that custom, or get a preacher that doesn't put us to sleep.  Next time in church keep one eye open!

Daily Prayer:

Lord Jesus I thank You for life, my creator, my savior, that joy is found in this life, and you gave us the ability to enjoy this life.  I look for eternal life, yet, my mind is stayed on this life, here and now, for until You call me home, I want to enjoy all that You have given me.  Thank You for laughter.                       Amen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment