Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Whose Fault Is It?

"Even a child is known by his deeds, whether what he does is pure and right" (Proverbs 20:11).

As I consider my faith I find myself wanting towards a most important aspect of faithful living for Christ.  It is not enough to say, "I believe"; it is more important to "do what I believe."  Yes, Jesus did call us to a place in our lives where we deny all else and live for Him.  I find myself wanting in this also; yet this wanting in me is a cause for much mischief, and grief to others.  "O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death" (Romans 7:24)?  I have failed in one of the most important aspects of living; I have failed to protect my children, my family, my loved ones, and others who look upon my life.  I complain of the youth, their waywardness, the attitude of no respect towards those in authority; my complaint is towards them yet they are only the product of me.

I read this an my sins, my failure invaded my very essence for the truth, as often it does, striking me with the awesome responsibility and my personal failure.  This I report was written somewhere around 1649 A.D. by Mr Thomas Manton in his epistle to the reader published in the Westminster Confession of Faith.

     "I cannot suppose thee to be such a stranger in England as to be ignorant of the general complaint concerning the decay of the power of godliness, and more especially of the great corruption of youth.  Wherever thou goest, thou wilt hear men crying out of bad children and bad servants; whereas indeed the source of the mischief must be sought a little higher: it is bad parents and bad masters that make bad children and bad servants; and we cannot blame so much their untowardness, as our own negligence in their education
     The devil hath a great spite at the kingdom of Christ, and he knoweth no such compendious way to crush it in the egg, as by the perversion of youth, and supplanting family-duties....Now, the devil knoweth that this is a blow at the root, and a ready way to prevent the succession of Churches: if he can subvert families, other societies and communities will not long flourish and subsist with any power and vigour; for there is the stock from whence they are supplied both for the present and future."

Quoting from a letter he received and not giving us the name of its author has this to report: "I do therefore desire, that all masters of families would first study well this work themselves, and then teach it their children and servants, according to their several capacities.  And, if they once understand these grounds of religion, they will be able to read other books more understandingly, and hear sermons more profitably, and confer more judiciously, and hold fast the doctrine of Christ more firmly, than ever you are like to do by any other course..,."

I end with this quote: "If, therefore, there be any spark in you of love to God, be not content that any of yours should be ignorant of him whom you so much admire, or any haters of him whom you so much love.  If there be any compassion to the souls of them who are under your care, if any regard of your being found faithful in the day of Christ, if any respect to future generations, labour to sow these seeds of knowledge, which may grow up in after-times...."

I will not wallow in my failure, not speak of it no more: I will endeavor to teach my children, grandchildren, and all who will listen the Word of God.  Love drives the fervent desire and vow. 

Daily Prayer:

Father I come to You with a newness of wonder of Your faithful Word, and the need to commit myself to that which I claim to believe.  I cannot do this on my own strength so I draw upon Your promise, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13).  I pray for my children that You will have Your way with them and that they may see You in me and desire to give their lives to You.                  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment